Monday, April 06, 2009

Late post for Sunday

Yesterday Jackie and I went to the Foster Botanical Garden. It was one of the first places I went to by myself when I arrived in Hawaii last year. That would have been early Jan. There were almost no flowers, but I managed to get some interesting images of the greenery. I was assured, by several people, that by this time (April), flowers would be blooming at the Botanical Garden, so I happily accompanied Jackie on this jaunt.

Well!

There was one section where there were hybrid orchids and that's pretty much all we saw in the way of flowers. Coming from a climate such as exists in upstate NY where "warm" weather heralds in the buds and blooms of a cacophony of flowers, it still confounds me that in a year-round warm climate, winter is still winter as far as the flowers are concerned.

So we wandered around the botanical garden viewing the lush foliage (it has rained a lot this winter--have I mentioned that before?), hoping to see an occasional bloom, and, yes, once again, getting rained on.

It was a struggle for me to get interested enough to take photos. I appreciate beautiful landscaping, but could really care less about names. It was worth the the small entry fee (thank goodness for kama 'aina discounts) and the effort to get there, but unless someone could guarantee that I would be engulfed by a sensory overload of blooming flowers, I probably won't go there again. I would, however, recommend it to any of my friends who have a propensity toward horticulture.

It was a nice way to spend a few hours on a cool afternoon with a good friend. Below are a few of the images from the hybrid orchid garden.



While waiting for the wind to die down to photograph a flower, I saw this reflection ball. The wind finally died down and I took the shot. It was a bust!

The tree in the following image is called The Cannon Ball Tree--obviously not the technical name. But it's very interesting looking, and is nothing like anything else I've ever seen.

Posted for Sunday, on Monday, April 6, 2009

3 comments:

Bridget said...

the orchids are stunning!
i also love the last picture of the tree with ?mushrooms on the bark.
if it is any consolation, it has been cold and rainey here:)and there is very little green yet.
but i promise to work on that before you come home:)

Anonymous said...

"raining alot"...well i've heard there are 2 things that keep the islands green...the rain and the tourists!

happy easter!

trishalyn said...

Beautiful flowers...and I love the reflection image! (I'll take rainy warm weather over rainy cold weather any day!)