Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Deception

Many years ago, when I cared, I planted a small flower garden in my front yard. Over the years it has gone to wrack-and-ruin and each year I vow to remove the wooden border and mow it down. I haven't managed to do that yet.

When I pulled into my driveway this afternoon, I noticed that some daffodils had bloomed--tenacious little things! So I decided to get some shots of them. Most of the images are really bad, and the one I posted is pretty pathetic too, but bear with me, there's a point to this.

It's long been known that photography can tell whatever story you want it to depending on the way the photo is taken, ie. the perspective, the lighting, the lens used, what's included in the frame, or omitted, etc. (I'm not even talking about the deception one can create with Photoshop)

So if this first image were the only one I posted, it would appear that I had either planted a great garden, or come upon a nice flower bed.


But just to show the truth of the situation, I took a wider view of what used to be my nice flower bed. Unraked, weedy, grungy, unkempt...


All of this to say that things are not always as they seem. A good lesson for me, as well as for all of us. Don't judge without all the facts. Don't jump to conclusions without all the facts.

On the other hand, the lesson could be--make lemonade out of lemons. So what if my ex-garden is a mess--I can still enjoy the beauty that blooms in its midst.

What's the moral? Don't know! Glean what you will and what you need.

6 comments:

trishalyn said...

I really love the first image, Linda! The bright yellow color is gorgeous, and the composition is very appealing. However, by adding the 2nd image, you've taught us all a good lesson. Well done! :-)

Anonymous said...

What I gleaned: in the midst of what looks like disaster, God, in His mercy, will create beauty, enjoy it, encourage it,rejoice in the beauty and be thankful for God's touch in all things, especially spring gardens. Jean

Framing Images and Memories said...

Maybe the lesson is to not mow down the spot but to nuture it and plant flowers once again :)

J.L.Velez said...

There is always beauty in chaos, that's what I'm taking away from this:)

Bridget said...

beautiful first image!
i think the take away lesson is to embracec beauty(and joy and love and friendship and a good laugh0whenever and wherever.
life is so fleeting!

philmary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.