Friday, April 24, 2009

This Is A Long One Because...

1) I first have to vent (in the hopes that someone will recognize their rude behavior and change their ways, and

2) I have a lot of images I want to share today.

First: I was in Radio Shack today. There was only one salesperson present and she was helping an older gentleman (and I use that word loosely)with his order--they appeared to be winding down and I knew they'd be done soon. The gentleman's cell phone rang while he was talking to and receiving help from the sales representative. He ACTUALLY reached into his pocket and ANSWERED THE PHONE!!! I just stared at him in disbelief, and of course the sales person couldn't say anything--she works for a corporation (or whatever Radio Shack is) and she has nothing to say about how to treat rude, rude, rude customers.

After he left (and I should have done it while he was still there) I suggested to her that she put up a sign saying customers on their cell phones wouldn't be helped until they put their phones away. She sighed and said she couldn't do that without corporate permission. (by the way, she is the manager of that store).

So my rant for the day is--if your phone rings when you are being helped, or even if you're in line for service--for goodness sake, have the class to just let it ring!

Whew! okay, now for today's post. I got motivated this morning and after running some errands in Amsterdam, I went over to the south side (the best kept secret in the area). There were some abandoned buildings there (surprise!), and I spent quite some time photographing them. Bridget, you don't have to bail me out of jail this time!

Following are just a few of what I captured. A totally photo rich environment. A great field trip on a beautiful balmy, blue sky day. Enjoy.

A little bit of graffiti peeking out--I so wished I could get up there...

I'm showing this next one in both color and black and white. Which do you like best?






I'm pretty confident that I followed in Steve's footsteps very nicely today.

4 comments:

J.L.Velez said...

I like the orange detour sign picture and the second to last keeps drawing me. Seems more like ruins than abandoned buildings, which also captivates me. Nice work on these!

Framing Images and Memories said...

Nice job. I think I like the color photo b/c the others are colored, like a series. I bet a series in blk/wht would look great too. I have my sights on that building too and I'm "going in" at some point, when I get the nerve. I mean, kids obviously go in so why not a photographer!

trishalyn said...

Wow...these are great, Linda! It's obvious that you were inspired by your "find"! As to your question on the fence pics: in the smaller images, I like the color one better (I think...it's a hard decision). But when enlarged, the b/w gets my vote! Gee, I always seem to be on the fence. :-) I love how you captured the fence razor sharp, but not too shallow of a DOF, allowing the background to be an important element. The angles in the first image are great, and I like the different colored stone with the graffiti peeking out. The bike and detour sign images are wonderful, too. I honestly cannot choose a favorite. Very, very nice!!!

Bridget said...

you followed very nicely in steve's footsteps!
this is a terrific series.
i love the bike and the one with the colored sign.
wewll done!