Monday, October 20, 2008

Books

This image was inspired by a photo that I took when I was in Camden, Maine this past Sept. The library is surrounded by beautiful "grounds"--landscaped and decorated in the most appealing and friendly way. There were benches outside one of the doors that looked like bookcases. See the second image below.

I love books. I've always been addicted to them, but lately I'm learning NOT to buy every single one that I lay my hands on. "Go to the library" resounds in my head every time I think about buying another volume. Not that I don't ever buy books, but at this point in my life, I'm trying to minimize my possessions, not increase them.

So, over the years, I've culled and gotten rid of, and thought about culling some more. The ones that I still have are ones that I think I'll read again, hmmmm, or will want to loan to other people, hmmmm. Neither of those usually happen, so soon I'll go on another cleaning spree and will condense even more.

I consider books to be another blessing in my life. They offer comfort, escape, knowledge, laughter, tears, and as I mentioned in a previous post, they created many bonding opportunities for me and my children. They continue to do so now, as I talk with friends about different books we've read and how we feel about each one. For the past 24 years I've belonged to a book group and have had the opportunity to read many books I normally wouldn't have chosen myself.

I guess I can't talk about books without mentioning the best one, the Bible. The Greatest Story Ever Told. Read it, you'll like it.

3 comments:

J.L.Velez said...

Definitely my favorite book as well. You can read and read and still there is soooooooo much amazing stuff. We can't conquer it no matter how much we try. I like the contrast between your picture and the picture from Maine. Definitely inspired:) I need to steal those benches. I'm an addict too...of books:)

Framing Images and Memories said...

I've come to share a tiny bit of your enthusiasm for reading. I've always read journals and some biographies but have recently been reading more. Your pictures reminded me that I need to start another one!

trishalyn said...

I, too, have always found books to be a source of comfort...I love to escape and lose myself in a good book. Would love to see that library bench!