Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Ye Olde Church...

On my way home from Dolgeville this morning, I knew I would be passing the old Palatine Church, so I planned on stopping to get a few photos. It's a beautiful old building. I once photographed a wedding there, and it was a pleasure. The inside, as I recall, is one large room, airy and bright because of all the large windows. When I first moved to the country a long time ago, I had visions of attending a "country church", but it didn't work out that way. I love the church I attend, but it doesn't have quite the same "personality" of the little churches I've seen dotting the countryside in our area.

As I continued on my way home, I came upon this horse and buggy. I've been waiting a long time to be in a situation where I could get a photo--knowing that the Amish don't like being photographed. So I grabbed my camera, got as close as I could in the car, and took the photo through the windshield. It's not an award winner, but I think it's pretty iconic--most people would know exactly what it represented.


Sometimes I wish I were in that buggy, taking life nice and easy. It's kind of like Hawaiian time, "no worries, brudah".

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I love your photos...they are really nice..

Framing Images and Memories said...

Linda, you, once again taught me about photography. The round hay bales that I love so much look better with another subject. The church and the bales are perfect together. The Amish wagon...never overdone in my opinion. Im always curious about their lifestyle. At first I thought it may be a good idea to crop out the sign, moving the buggie out of the center and leaving the curve in the road. The more I look, I like the contrast of the modern sign, warning of speed, and then the throw-back buggy of yesterday. Nice job!

J.L.Velez said...

I love the lines in the first picture. Very crisp! And the hay bales in front of the old church makes a perfect picture of quaintness (is that a word? My brain is on the fritz after school today!) Thanks for making me a part of the group. I'm very grateful!

trishalyn said...

Love the Amish buggy...and how lucky for you to come upon it right before that curve in the road!

trishalyn said...

P.S. AND...at the very spot of that road sign. PERFECT!!!