Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Icons

The advent of "a computer-in-every-home" made the word "icon" part of our everyday language. I love the word. It's so appropriate. So last night, when I was supposed to be sleeping (what's that and who does that anymore at my age?) I wound up thinking about what photo I would take today and what my post would be about. (Egad!!! isn't there something wrong when you spend half the night thinking about photography and blogs?)

Well, last evening, around 9:30 our power went off. Bummer--I anticipated a long, cold night, but amazingly around 10:00 the power came back on. So just to be on the safe side, I dug out an extra quilt in case the power went off during the night and I would need to add another layer. That got me thinking about quilts. They are definitely icons. Icons of what, you ask? Well, here's a few ideas:
winter
snuggling on the couch to read or watch tv
warmth
mom
the craft of sewing
quilting bees
socializing
hot chocolate
New England
fabric stores
the Amish
stay-at-home moms
wood stoves
fireplaces
snowstorms
hay rides
picnics
building forts with the dining room furniture

If you have any other suggestions, let me know. So, following are a couple of the quilts that I've made in my history of "being mom". I have a few more under construction and I probably should get going on them.

Although I desperately want to live in a warm-all-year climate, I would miss quilts. I might just have to take a couple with me and use them for decoration. With the snow on the ground right now and the wind blowing, I'm definitely enjoying my quilts now.




5 comments:

trishalyn said...

Couldn't believe you had already posted for today! Loved your quilts...and your essay!

Framing Images and Memories said...

Quilts, to me, symbolize freedom and history. People in our area would hang a quilt or quilt square in a window where runaway slaves could find protection as they made their way toward Canada. Quilts also represent history in general, as every one tells the story of a family and the person making the quilt. It's art really.
I like the last image best. I like the layering/stacking picture as it is a "different" viewpoint of a familiar object. Nice job!

Dana said...

I love quilting with my Mom's quilting circle. The stories are wonderful along with the food. Example: Homemade chicken and noodles with angel food cake.
Quilts are handed down from older generations to the newer generations and so do the memories that go along with them. Quilt are Love. Thanks for such a great blog and pictures.
It made me smile with pride. Hugs~ Dana

J.L.Velez said...

I really like the last one because it gives me that sense of warmth and comfort! These are beautiful quilts and your writing was wonderful as well:)

Bridget said...

linda ,
i enjoyed your quilt pictures as well as your writing.quilts were a part of my childhood.my grandmother was a quilter.i especially liked your last photo of the stacked quilts.
nice job.