Monday, October 06, 2008

My Attempt at a Social Commentary

This was a shopping day. I hate to shop!! I avoid it until it becomes an absolute necessity. About a year ago, one of my dogs chewed up the heels of the only pair of dress shoes I owned. It wasn't a big deal because I wore them anyway, in spite of how they looked and how loose they were. (as an aside, I only wear dress shoes once a week to church). Then when I left for Hawaii, I left the shoes here at the house. Obviously I didn't need them all summer after I came back to NY since I wore sandals all the time. During the summer I decided I'd never wear those shoes again so I chucked them--good riddance! (In addition to hating to shop, I hate shoes. So shopping for shoes is doubly objectionable to me, and something I avoid with a passion).


Well!!! This October caught me by surprise. Who knew it would be 39 degrees this past Sunday morning (Oct 5)? So I wore my sandals and went bare-legged too, I might add. It was a little brisk. My objective today was to shop for shoes--argh! and not come home till I found some. Within 10 minutes of looking in the first place I stopped, I found a pair. Eureka!!! Now that's my idea of shopping.

Pretty cute huh? At least now I won't have to wear sneakers with my skirts when I go to church.


So then I had to stop at the supermarket, well, Walmart and then the supermarket. By now I was beat and just wanted to get home. But on the way to the store, I started thinking "green". Now, I'm not a fanatic, I don't hug trees, I don't compost, I'm in favor of drilling for oil in our own country, but I use scrap paper to write notes on more than once, I don't let the water run while I brush my teeth, I turn lights off when I leave the room, I recycle wrapping paper and I try to do what I can to be conservative in other ways. One of my efforts is using tote bags when I go to the grocery store. I wondered, "why, when the bags are sooooo cheap, sooooo sturdy and soooo accessible, do more people not use them?

I answered myself, in my not too tactful way, that people are either too lazy, too spoiled or too unconscious. Remember, this was just in my mind. Face to face I would encourage you all (in a hopefully nice tone of voice) to purchase these totes from the supermarket or department store where you shop and use them regularly. It's a small, small thing, but it saves a huge amount of plastic.



When I got home from my shopping spree, I walked into a warm house. My husband had spent the day getting the wood furnace ready to go. God bless him!! A good end to a good day.

Albert Einstein wisdom: "Imagination is more important than knowledge."

2 comments:

J.L.Velez said...

Hey, those shoes are cute! Where'd you find them? I love these simple pictures and the stories you tell with them!

RICH, POOR AND SELF-DESTROYED said...

Im glad you like the pictures of the traffic lights, I have just been going through your blog and its lovely. i hope to hear from you soon. Come and see my blog anytime......