Thursday, October 16, 2008

Memories...

Well, just when you think that everything is going along as usual and that the word "surprise" has been eliminated from your vocabulary and your existence, God hands you a package tied in a beautiful bow... and proves that He is the God of surprises and blessings.

As I was sitting in my photo club meeting last night, my cell phone rang--well, actually it buzzed. Now, everyone knows I go to this meeting every Wed. night and that I probably turn off my phone, and no one even tries to call me. (Not too long ago, I finally learned how to put my phone on vibrate, so I've been doing that lately.) So as I realized that I was getting a call, I got up out of my seat, not too subtly I might add since I was sitting up front in the second row, and left the room to answer the call. I didn't recognize the number, but I said, "hello????" anyway.

Well, it was a friend of mine from college, and even though he was a senior when I was a freshman, (that means I'm 4 years younger than he is) he's not old enough to be dead and neither am I--so no wise cracks from any of you. About 16 years ago we connected, and then lost touch again. So his call last night came out of the blue and was such a treat.

So on the way home, I started thinking about college and those great years and decided that I'd get out my yearbooks and see if I could find his photo. This is his senior photo and the next one is obviously him in one of the annual plays put on by the college.


Then I thought, "well, I could include my senior picture" (four years later, Rich), so here it is.


Even though I feel that my life is completely blessed, I still often wonder what it would be like if I had done things differently when I was younger. That can't happen, it's all a done deal, but I so regret not having been a little wiser. One of my favorite poems is by Robert Frost, The Road Not Taken. My experience was that I always took the road most traveled, and now I wish I had taken the one less traveled.

Speaking of Robert Frost, my absolute favorite poem by him is The Telephone. You'll have to read the entire thing, I don't want to make you wade through it when I've already written so much, but the end is:


I listened and I thought I caught the word--
What was it? Did you call me by my name?
Or did you say---
Someone said 'Come'---I heard it as I bowed."

"I may have thought as much, but not aloud."

"Well, so I came."

That just stops me dead. How wonderful to be that in-tune with another human being.

Anyway, I hope that even though I didn't actually take photos for today, that this can count as a legitimate post.

2 comments:

trishalyn said...

How nice that you connected with an old friend! (Technically, he should only be 3 years older than you). Enjoyed the yearbook photos and the walk down memory lane. I, too, have some regrets on the path I chose along life's journey. I believe that things happen for a reason, though...so am sure I chose the path meant for me. Thanks for an interesting posting (but sorry...I don't think the scanned photos count!). :-)

Framing Images and Memories said...

How exciting to reconnect with an old friend. Funny how at those moments we do reflect on what could have been. If it brings you comfort, just know that we all have those times when we question what we have done and paths that we passed by. We do this even in our happiest times. I wouldn't want to meet the person that never questioned or wondered about how life would be different had one chosen different options along life's journey. What a boring person that would be!