Thursday, October 23, 2008

"Susie Homemaker Day"

Well, today was one of those days. I stayed home all day and did Susie Homemaker kinds of things. I cleaned (a little), I baked, I cooked, all while I was trying to learn how to use iTunes. So while albums were uploading to the computer, I was doing all this other stuff. Now this may not seem quite so spectacular to the rest of you, but usually I only manage two out of three of these activities in any given day.

If I cook, I might clean or bake, but not both. If I bake, I usually clean, but don't cook, and if I clean, usually nothing else gets done--so on those days I'm thinking, "egads, you want me to cook too, didn't I make dinner last week?", or "look at the mess I just cleaned up from all the cooking I did, you want me to start all over in order to bake too?", or some such sentiments like that.

But today!!!! I did it all. I don't know why and I'm pretty sure it won't happen again for a long time, but it was pretty gratifying just the same. I used to do this all the time, AND take care of little kids--zowie!

Just to prove that I really did bake, (can't prove the other things unless you want me to take a photo of the spag & meatballs I made--which by the way were very good and are now already put away in the fridge, or empty the dirt canister of the vacuum--okay, too much info, right?)here's a photo of the before and after apple pie I made.

Seriously, this "photo a day" sometimes causes me to dredge up the most ridiculous ideas for photos.





Speaking of cooking and the resulting dirty dishes, akagaga was kind enough to send me the words to the poem I mentioned last week. Here goes:


Thank God for dirty dishes
they have a tale to tell
while others may go hungry,
we're eating very well.

With home and health and happiness,
I shouldn't want to fuss,
for by the stack of dirty evidence,
God's been very good to us.

Amen

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, man, it's apple, isn't it? I can almost smell it! Is there any left?

Framing Images and Memories said...

The verse and the photos match very well. It is interesting how all of us, writing stories with our photos, add to the image. It is as if we get to know the subject and the photographer much better. Mini-photo essays. I'm enjoying the process.

J.L.Velez said...

I think it is causing us to see things that we normally would just pass by and I'm grateful that we are doing it. As much as I groaned and groaned about pictures last week, looking back, I was seeing a lot of "new" old things that really inspired me. Your pie pictures motivate me Linda to keep going!

trishalyn said...

Hmmm, hmmm, good! Did your new "Baked Apple Pie" candle (lovely birthday gift) inspire you to bake the REAL thing? Ha! It looks delicious!!! Maybe YOU should bring dessert next time!
:-) Loved your writing, too. Thanks to all of you, I am having so much fun with our "blogging"!