Friday, October 17, 2008

Necessity is the Mother of Invention

I spent practically the entire day today on the computer. I had to finalize the monthly newsletter for my photo club, and since this is only my second issue, it was pretty tricky. By the end of the day I was very sick of sitting at the computer, but also confounded as to what I was going to do about a photo to post.

I got pretty excited about doing the dishes because I'd have the chance to stand for a while (oh my gosh, is my life pathetic or what?). As the drainboard piled up with clean dishes, my imagination kicked in and I decided that I'd photograph clean dishes. Especially since I was actually excited to be washing them.

So, hand-holding the camera on a slow shutter speed, I played a little and had a blast. As I was taking the photos, I remembered a plaque that my mother had hanging in our kitchen while I was growing up. I don't remember the entire saying, but the first line said, "Thank God for dirty dishes...." Basically it was praising dirty dishes because that meant that we had enough food to create the dirty dishes. So, even though I've never owned a dishwasher, I don't complain much about washing the dishes by hand. Thank God for dirty dishes....

3 comments:

trishalyn said...

I say, "CCC" to you, Linda! (Cool, Creative Composition)! I'd never heard that expression -"Thank God for dirty dishes..." - before, but it does make one think. Good job in adding the "extra" in "ordinary"!

J.L.Velez said...

I really like the different shapes and colors in there, especially the blue. It makes this picture sort of stand out. And I love the philosophy of having dirty dishes because that is so true. We are blessed!

Anonymous said...

My mother painted the saying on a plate that now hangs on my kitchen wall:

Thank God for dirty dishes
they have a tale to tell
while others may go hungry
we're eating very well

with home and health and happiness
I shouldn't want to fuss
for by the stack of evidence
God's been good to us