Monday, November 03, 2008

36 Short Hours.... (Part I)

It is 10 am on Monday morning. As I write this, it will be approximately 36 short hours until we will know, almost for sure, who the next United States President will be. In less than 24 hours, the headlines of the local newspaper will be shouting the news!!!

I'm terrified! I don't even think I'll watch the news on Tuesday evening. I will vote in the afternoon, go with my family to the local pancake supper (which is held every election day and is the best one in the area) and then I'll take my laptop up to my room and watch a chic flick. One more night of a peaceful/hopeful mind won't be a bad thing. If things continue to go the way they appear to be headed now, it will be 4 years of aggravation and terror!

Before I actually got out of bed this morning, I was thinking about history, in the generic sense. We, all the people in the United States, are living an historic moment. Whomever wins this election WILL MAKE HISTORY! If Obama wins, it will be the first time a BLACK has held office as President, and if McCain wins, it will be the first time a WOMAN has held office as v-President. Whomever your candidate of choice is, whether he wins or not, this is the time to realize that you've lived to see an amazing thing come to pass and that God's will is being done--no one gets into office, anywhere, outside of the will of God--that's my only consolation if the election goes, in what I consider, the wrong way.

In the past, when I was in school and all the time between then and now, I've taken those "history-making" moments in stride and for granted. But this...this is HUGE! This will be one of those dates in the history books, almost an icon--kind of like Pearl Harbor, Kennedy's assasination, landing on the moon, the destruction of the Twin Towers, etc.

I think it's another reason to be very proud of living in the United States and being an American.

(Part II) 2:45 pm

I was looking through a little book I have entitled, "Really Important Stuff my Kids Have Taught Me". I bought it years ago and every once in a while I look through it. I came across the word "muse". Just to be absolutely sure of the meaning, I looked it up: one definition--"to ponder, consider or deliberate at length", another--"Muse: (Greek Myth.) any of the nine daughters of Zeus, each of whom presided over a different art or science. And yet another--a source of inspiration, esp. of a poet.

I love this word, I guess I'll have to begin a sidebar entry on "words I love". Anyway, here are a few things this author has been "taught" by her kids:

**If it hurts, stop doing it

**If you don't run, you won't trip, but you may never get there.

**One hundred times is not too many if it's your favorite book.

Oh my gosh, we should all start thinking a little more like "kids"....

Part III

It's 7:30 pm now, and this will be my last post of the day. Susie Homemaker and Hattie Housekeeper came by today. We had a nice visit. I can see out of the living room windows now, there will be dessert tonight, the cat can now get in her litter box, and we're no longer tripping over the dust balls in the hall. Those ladies worked their butts off today and I commend their efforts.

The news is on right now, and my stomach is beginning to hurt. I'm glad I already decided to watch a movie tomorrow night...

3 comments:

J.L.Velez said...

It is a comfort to know that God is in control and already knows what the outcome will be. It is scary isn't it? I'll see you at the pancake supper! I'll be working there and hopefully, snapping some pictures when I can:)

Bridget said...

i also feel your anxiety over the election and i can't even sort out its source.
i also feel an immense pride in our country that a woman and a black man can be in the positions they are in.
god's will be done.

Bridget said...

oh yeah,
cool pix