Sunday, November 16, 2008

Comfort Food

Today is/was one of those days...the skies were cloudy, AGAIN, the temperature was chilly, the wind was blowing... We headed off to church this morning, only to arrive to a cold building--once again the furnace was not working up to snuff. It really wasn't that cold, but some of the people were really whining about it. Well, we have church service first, followed by SS, so the first announcement was that SS was canceled, as was evening service. Okay! Not that I like missing SS (I really like the class usually), but it was great knowing that I didn't have to go out again in that depressing mess this afternoon.

When we arrived home, I got the idea to make meat sauce to go with hot dogs for dinner tonight, and then I started thinking about "comfort foods", like chili, stew, homemade soups, brownies, pizza, hot tea (when I have a sore throat), open-face grilled cheese, ice-cream. Lately I've realized that everyone has a different list of comfort foods, so I guess your list will depend on your situation as you were growing up.

So after warming up a little (we've had the wood furnace off for the past few days due to the balmy temps, and my husband just got it going again today after we returned home from church), and after watching a moving and trying to nap--I say "trying" because between the dogs and my husband, there's nothing sacred in the let's-be-quiet-because-mom-is-trying-to-nap department, I got the idea to make brownies. Not just plain brownies either, but brownies with chocolate chips in them, thank you very much! Yuuummmm. Comfort food.

While they were baking, my son and I played several games of Boggle. Now THERE'S a "comfort game" if there ever was one. I'm sure some of you are saying, "What's Boggle?" and others are saying,"I HATE that game!~!" Okay, what I want to know is this. How in the world does Boggle stay in business? I think I know only 2 people who can even tolerate the game, let alone like it. I LOVE IT! I love words, and anything having to do with words, why. won't. anyone. play. Boggle. with. me??? To be fair, I have one friend who will play the game with me because she loves me and wants me to enjoy myself, but she usually manages to get about three words during each round, then I feel bad for making her play and we switch to something else. She's a good sport about it, though. My daughter will occasionally play with me, and she usually tromps my butt. However, she's in Kenya now and it will be a loooong time before she returns. My one friend practically strangles me if I even mention the game in front of her.

So now that I've had my comfort food and my comfort game for the day, and I didn't have to go out again this afternoon, it's all good. Thank God for food, shelter and family. And "comfort".

3 comments:

Framing Images and Memories said...

I'm thinking of Boggle, pizza and a Friday evening with anyone that wants to play and enjoy company!
And we can have a trophy, and declare an overall winner, and put their name on the blog and "crown" the champion, and take a photo of the winner holding his trophy and he could be given a title of "The Best Boggle Player Ever!" And then, and then, and then....OK..we could just play for fun :)

Framing Images and Memories said...

I just read your comment on my blog...The last image..I stood in front of a white screen with the overhead projector on and photographed my shadow...Took me an hour..but it was fun! Thanks for noting the effort!

trishalyn said...

Never played Boggle, but it sounds like fun...so does the comfort food!