Friday, November 14, 2008

An Old Friend

About 13 years ago, I attended my first Schenectady Photographic Society meeting. It was in February and I was terrified. All those people and I didn't know a one of them. But I was determined to continue attending and eventually join the group by paying annual dues. I remember that I used to bring a book with me, so that I'd have something to do during the break.

After about 4 meetings, during the break one night, the president came over and began a conversation. What a relief!! Then, as I was standing on line for refreshments, I stood behind a woman who was pregnant and she was talking to another member about the coming baby and the effect it would have on her teen-aged girls.

Well, I had recently been in the same situation, so I boldly joined in the conversation. Little did I know that she and I would become fast friends in the coming years. We had much in common, in addition to loving photography, and we eventually began doing things together, not the least of which was organizing an Annual Women's Photo Retreat. We spent many years doing that and going on shoots together. (Ironically, the president who first "befriended" me was her husband)

So, as the saying goes, "all good things must come to an end" and she and her family moved to Tennessee to live with and care for her father-in-law. The other day I received a call from her. "Hi, I'm here in the area and thought we could get together for lunch". What good news.

Today we had lunch together. It was great. You know how it is with a good friend. You may not see her/him for years, but when you do, it's like it was just yesterday... So as we were parting, I took a few shots. She'll be visiting with her mother, who is being hospitalized, and then leaving at the beginning of next week. I may not see her again this trip, but when I do, it'll be just like "yesterday".



4 comments:

trishalyn said...

What a lovely story...and beautiful portraits! I love the picture of you (was it a self-portrait, or did you have help?). But the first image is mesmerizing!!! Love the composition with the fence, the bricks, even the leaves...and especially the sweet pose. 2 keepers! :-)

RICH, POOR AND SELF-DESTROYED said...

Hello, again. love the pictures. I havent had the chance to post but at this moment I have. Please could you comment as I would love to hear your opinion

Framing Images and Memories said...

Sounds like you had a great time with an "old" friend. Your story should inspire those who want to join a group, start a hobby, attend a party, etc, but they fear of being out of place. You never know who you are going to meet when you put yourself out there!

Bridget said...

great pictures linda.heart warming storey.