Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Operation Christmas Child

I left for work this morning with my two empty shoe boxes. I was wondering what goodies I would find to fill them with. One for a boy, one for a girl. I love shopping for little kids, they're so unjaded and they treasure even the most insignificant things.

But these shoe boxes were going to be filled with goodies for some of the world's most poor and needy children, children who probably don't know what a bar of soap, or a brand new sharpened pencil, or a new hair ribbon looks like. These boxes are destined to become part of the Operation Christmas Child effort of Samaritan's Purse, founded by Franklin Graham, the evangelist Billy Graham's son.

I was excited. I had fun shopping for treasures with which to fill the boxes. I thought that even if I couldn't provide all of the world's needy children with treats this Christmas, I could make a difference for two of them.

When I got to church with my boxes, I got goose bumps when I saw the mountain of shoe boxes that had been donated by others in my church. Now, multiply that by many thousands of churches and individuals, and that WILL make quite a difference. It's a small thing that I and my friends have done, but Jesus says that "whatever you do for the least of these, you do for Me".

If you're interested in finding out more about the ministry of Samaritan's Purse, go to the website on the above poster: www.samaritanspurse.org

3 comments:

Framing Images and Memories said...

Wonderful work..and as you noted..you and Jayme were "connecting" today. It always amazes me how generous the spirit can be-young, old, rich, poor..etc.
Makes me hopeful.

J.L.Velez said...

Love the shoe boxes! We do it my church too. It's amazing how with just a vision, things like Samaritan's Purse happen and the result is God's love spread through something simple like shoeboxes with gifts for Christmas. We were on the same page today for sure. God is full of hope!

trishalyn said...

I've been enjoying your interesting writings as well as your photos. Will definitely check out that website. Thanks, Linda! :-)