Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Melodies of Christmas, 08

Every year Friehoefer's and WRGB cohost Melodies of Christmas at Proctor's in Schenectady. Proceeds are donated to the child cancer section of Albany Med, and according to the statistics given on the show tonight, in the past 29 years, they've raised over 5 million dollars. AWESOME!

The Empire State Youth Orchestra and Chorale perform. They are amazing musicians and vocalists.

When Leah was entering 8th grade, I took both her and Caleb out of school to homeschool them. That year Leah decided she wanted to be a volunteer usher at Proctor's. I, too, volunteered. If I had to drive her to Schenectady, I needed something to do while she was ushering, and that was as good as anything.


Among many other productions, we attended the Melodies of Christmas for the next three years. It's a beautiful evening, and quite the tear-jerker when children from the cancer center take to the stage.

While Leah was in college, she would come home every Christmas. Several times we attended the Melodies as part of the audience and several times we watched the presentation on TV, but when she left for Hawaii she was unable to see it. So I would tape it and send her the VHS tape. She loved it.

Now, what to do now that she's in Kenya and doesn't have a VHS player? I've got it! Tape it and then find someone to transfer it to a DVD, or, see if there is a DVD to purchase. Eureka, I can't wait to send it to her--I really think she'll be surprised. Don't you love to surprise people?

So these are some scenes that I photographed from the TV. Not great quality, but I think it gives a good idea of the presentation. FYI it will be broadcast again on Christmas Day on WRGB (CBS) from noon to 1:30.



2 comments:

trishalyn said...

Nice story to go along with your images. I just love surprising people, too. Wish you could see Leah's face when she opens YOUR surprise package! :-) Love the last image...would make an awesome Christmas card for our MVP project next year! Merry Christmas, Linda!

Framing Images and Memories said...

What a great idea and a wonderful surprise for Leah! Have a Merry, Merry Christmas. What was the vote count by the way? I guess I'll change my vote to allow you to miss that one day...My gift!