Saturday, December 13, 2008

A Step Back in Time

I'm sitting here watching It's A Wonderful Life. A step back in time.

This is a new photo even though it might look familiar. I photographed this same house a few weeks ago, and said I'd like to try again when it wasn't so dark and when I had my tripod. Well, it wasn't so dark today, but once again I didn't have my tripod. Anyway I think it's better with some ambiant light than it was when it was pitch black. Again, I'll say it reminds me of a Gingerbread house--a step back in time.

When my husband was a boy, his father and uncle owned and operated separate dairys. One delivered in the Fonda area, the other delivered in the Amsterdam area. He worked for his father delivering milk. We have several bottles with the family name on them. Another step back in time.

It's easy to think that things were so much better "back in time". Maybe they were and maybe they weren't. I just know that when I see/hear about the good parts of those long-ago times, it soothes my soul

4 comments:

trishalyn said...

Very pretty Gingerbread house! I did recognize it right away. I like this image better than the first. I can't remember if there was snow on the ground and roof for the first image, but the snow adds to the beauty. Your milk bottle reminded me of the image you did years ago. I believe you have it hanging in your home. I would love it if you could post that image sometime! (Why not take a photo of the photo?).

Framing Images and Memories said...

Nice job Linda..I agree with Trish that the house picture is nicer this time around. There is a house on Golf Course Rd in Amsterdam if you are ever in the area that time of night..cant imagine their electric meter! About the milk..I love hearing what people did in their "previous generations" My father's side were all farmers. Technologically life may be "easier" but I don't think that makes it better.

philmary said...

I always have this feeling that in the past people used their bodies for work more, and had more of a feeling for the refreshing pleasures of physical exertion..Delivering crates of glass bottles all week and running a dairy must have been no picnic..I wonder if you saw GWB discussion of his work out regeim

Bridget said...

oh that milk bottle really got me.
i remember our milk man well.
nice job with the gingerbread house.