Saturday, December 27, 2008

Yesterday...

Yesterday when I was talking about the New Year looming in the very near future, 5 days from now to be exact, I began calculating how old my father would be, had he lived till now. Well, he was born in 1915, so that would make him 94 next May. That's very close to 100. Imagine all the changes that folks of that age have seen in their lifetimes.

So I did a little research and I came up with some 1915 trivia.

**On Jan 25, Alexander Graham Bell, in NY, called Thomas Watson in SF.

**On Jan 19, the electric neon sign was patented.

**Born in 1915: Ingrid Bergman, Orson Wells, Eli Wallach

**Typhoid Mary infected 25 people while working as a cook in New York's Sloan Hospital. She was placed in quarantine for life.

(This is for you, Trish)
**Kiwanis International was founded in Detroit, Mich.

And some songs that were popular (this is by no means a comprehensive list--I picked out the ones that I've at least heard of):

Bells of St. Mary's
For Me and My Gal
Hail, Hail, the Gang's All Here
Over There
12th Street Rag
Pack Up Your Troubles in Your Old Kit-Bag

3 comments:

trishalyn said...

Gosh, Linda...you look just like your dad! I enjoyed your interesting post...and thanks for the recognition of Kiwanis!

Framing Images and Memories said...

Very cool post. Of course I love the history that comes along with each of us. I think sometimes we forget the environment (like music, movies,culture in general, that surrounds our individual lives). Nice picture and post.

Bridget said...

nice photo of your dad.
very interesting facts.