Thursday, December 04, 2008

The Windows

When approaching Amsterdam on Rt 30 going north, you're usually greeted at the main intersection by a red light. To the left is a beautiful old building with these arched windows along the side of the building. All summer, from spring on, the windows are decorated with window boxes filled with red geraniums. They're always red. I've never seen another color, it's become an icon/landmark.

Today as I entered Amsterdam, I slowed down for the inevitable red light. I glanced to my left and saw the widows, now decorated for Christmas with wreathes at the level of the half lowered shades, and window boxes with greens and mini-white lights. I thought, "aw, how beautiful". As I sat there, it finally occurred to me to "take a picture, you slacker, this might be the picture for your post today". So I grabbed the camera and hurriedly took this shot, and as I hoped to get another shot better composed and better focused, you guessed it, the light turned green and there were cars behind me waiting to go.

It's a good thing I got this one, because there wasn't another opportunity all day for a photo. So, shabby as it is, I think it tells the story of the attractive sight that greets all drivers entering Amsterdam.

3 comments:

trishalyn said...

How pretty! I don't remember seeing those windows before. Is that the old bank building? I will definitely look on my next trip to "the city"!

Framing Images and Memories said...

I see this "image" all the time and always think it would make a nice picture..and you did it..good work..and you got out of the house!

Bridget said...

i have enjoyed these windows myself summer and winter.
great idea.